Coming to the Damascus Heritage Society Museum
June 2023 – September 2023
“Know Your Legion”
Chair: Sam Lehane
The theme for the display is “Know Your Legion”, and this will be prominently displayed on a sandwich board in front of the museum when it is open (Wednesdays and Saturdays).
The display will lead guests through a timeline of the American Legion, and Damascus Post 171 with emphasis on Post 171’s Four Pillars of service contribution to our community.
Veterans Affairs & Rehabilitation
Children & Youth
There are three ways you can assist in this project:
- Help box-up and transport Post 171 artifacts to the Museum (July 2nd to July 9th)
The Post will be open from 9 am to 5 pm (use rear door)
- Stand a watch(s) at the Museum (July 10th through September 30th)
Museum is open Wednesdays and Saturdays only from 12noon to 4pm
Two (2) hour watches, 12 noon to 2 pm and 2 pm to 4 pm
Heritage Society volunteer(s) will be on site whenever the Museum is open
- Help box-up Post artifacts and transport back to Post 171 (October 1st to completion)
We're using online internet app SignUp to organize our upcoming Sign-ups.
Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click this link to see our Sign-Up on SignUp: https://signup.com/go/GaZzNZb
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.
Note: SignUp does not share your email address with anyone.
The exhibition will only be as good as the artifacts displayed, and it is here I can use your assistance. I am in desperate need of materials to flesh out our Post 171 timeline story. Anything you can contribute will be greatly appreciated, and if it is tangible property it will be returned to you when the exhibit closes.
We need pictures, newspaper articles, memorabilia, etc.
- Post 171 Damascus Patriot Baseball Team
- Post 171 Memorial Day:
- Graves decoration
- Post ceremonies
- Support for Troops
- Homes for troops
- Visits to VA Hospitals
- 1946 - Getting street lights in downtown Damascus
- Post 171 Oyster Roast raise money for:
- Community service
- Youth programs
- Post 171 Boy Scouts
- Post 171 Girl Scouts
- 1949 - Community drive to relocate Route 27
- Post 171 Wednesday night barn dances:
- Patsy Cline
- Roy Clark
- Jimmy Dean
- Jonny Glaze
- Bill Earl
- Ken Painter
- Jimmy Purdum
- Federal Civil Defense Emergency Field Hospital
- Food baskets for needy families
- Post 171 Monthly pancake breakfast
- Post 171 School flag raising ceremonies
- Post 171 Scholarships
- Post 171 Boys state
- Post 171 Girls state
If you have anything at all to share at the Heritage Society Museum Post 171 exhibit, then please contact Sam as soon as possible at email@example.com. Again, if the object is tangible, it will be returned once the exhibit is over.
<< Previous Page